Tuesday, October 07, 2008

voting hoes and penmanship woes.

last week, being the very diligent, law abiding citizens we are, chrissy and i did some internet research to be sure our voting information was accurate. we had both been living in different apartments in 2004 and figured we'd better verify where we could vote this year. one little search later, i'd discovered i was not, in fact, a registered voter. someone with an eerily similar name and my very same birthday was however. and they were also living in our parents' house.

in my usual state of terror and manic anxiety, i dialed chrissy to get her opinion. we decided that i should not, in any way, vote under my pseudonym as then my opinion might be disqualified, thus swinging the entire presidential race by my one vote.

i called the board of elections and was put through immediately to an incredibly sweet sounding older woman who i can only assume was darning socks for her great grandchild as she spoke to me. she was very helpful and apologetic and assured me the matter would be rectified immediately. i was told she just needed to pull up my registration form.

with lightening speed, she turned from jekyll to hyde, telling me that she had located the problem. assuming it was now something really terrible i inquired nervously what the issue was.

"your penmanship," she snarled, "is terrible!"

i was then subjected to a lecture on the importance of good penmanship and how easy it is to mistake an O for an A at the hands of a novice scribe. i was not allowed off the phone without swearing on all but my future first-born that i would print on my new registration, as i am clearly not fit to use script.

and there with my tail between my legs, chrissy got the confirmation she has always yearned for. her handwriting is officially prettier.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how i love this story.

if only it were written in your hideous handwriting instead of typed.

KateGladstone said...

I think the following site will allow you to keep free from the wrath of the Election Lady without having to stick purely to printing:
http://www.HandwritingThatWorks.com (not actually printing ... yet guaranteed cursive-free!)

Tim said...

What a rude old wench!

P H said...

sorry, but i'll have to side with the rude old wench here.

ESPECIALLY on something like a voter registration form, you should break out your finest penmanship to ensure accuracy. One should have, I believe, three or four ready for the various penmanship-related situations that may arise.

RSVPing, writing to grandma, scribbling notes, filling out YOUR FREAKIN VOTER REGISTRATION FORM FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF YOUR LIFE SO FAR!!! are just a few examples.