Wednesday, October 17, 2007

and my parents think i never listen to them...

if there is one thing i can count on just about every night of the week, its a phone call from my dad. generally he'll just call to say hello to his "dudes" - why a few years ago he started calling me "big dude" and missy "little dude" we will never understand - ask us what we're up to, how we're feeling, and make some small talk until one of us gets bored and rushes him off the phone or passes him off to the other one.

one of his favorite small talk topics is the news - typically a local SI story (he's a great source for ninja burglar updates) or a tale of something tragic that happened to a young woman, that way he can throw in a lesson or two about why i shouldn't get into cabs drunk or take the train alone past 9pm. i tend to tune him out during these preachy stories.

but the other night when he launched into the "did you see in the daily news..." portion of the phone conversation, he brought to my attention such a fascinating story that not only did i listen the entire time but i even found the article so i could read all about it myself.

and so we can all thank my dear old dad for this week's history lesson.

the durable mike malloy


5 comments:

P H said...

that is an amazing story.

Tim said...

GOOD. GOD!

Chuckles said...

That was cool. The tin shavings were an odd choice, but I bet that would cause a little heartburn.

soulspeak23 said...

did you know that this Gender Genie has decided that you are male? Don't worry, apparently I'm a male too. At lease I finally live up to my name!
http://bookblog.net/gender/genie.php

missyandchrissy said...

ss23 - this is so interesting! i am now obsessed with gender-genieing my writing. basically all my entries are coming up male...

while emails of mine that i tested are coming up as female. which is sort of funny, as my intent to keep loveandcyanide as an account of the non-intimate aspects of my life, apparently manifests itself in me writing like a guy.