Thursday, August 16, 2007

i'm just the yin to you noisy, nosy, yangs.

"you're so quiet"

i can't tell you how many times i've heard that line throughout my life. why, i just heard it again about 2 minutes ago, making it the catalyst for this rant.

is this an insult? i've never understood what someone is trying to insinuate when they come upon me, standing there/sitting there minding my own business, and make that comment. yes, i am pretty quiet - some people are. does my peacefulness bother you? does the fact that you can't hear my voice reverberate around the office annoy you? what exactly is the problem? if you're just trying to begin a conversation, i can think of 100 better starters than that one.

under certain circumstances i can understand being told this, but those are mainly all personal situations, where the person telling me "you're so quiet" is saying it because they want to know whats on my mind. totally acceptable, especially when the other party knows me well enough to know that only 70% of what goes on in my mind comes out of my mouth.

but i just do not at all understand being randomly told that i'm quiet by someone who doesn't really know me. it would be rude of me to comment to another "you're so noisy", wouldn't it? this is technically the same thing.

oh this irks me to no end.



8 comments:

Tim said...

I am totally with you on this. What's wrong with just being quiet? I recently met someone who talks *all* the time. I was this close to asking why the hell he has to fill every available space with some kind of noise. Or I could just punch him. Hmmm…

Dinah said...

I love the phrase "does my peacefulness bother you?" I'm going to have to start using it in everday life.

missyandchrissy said...

tim - thank you for the support, and i say, punch them! a punch is both effective and QUIET, thereby really driving the point home.

thanks dinah! i think i'm going to start actually saying that to people too...we can start a new trend.

Chuckles said...

All the cube farms that I have worked in have had one small group of people that contributed to the majority of noise pollution. Drives me batty. Can't people chat quietly?

missyandchrissy said...

people chat loudly as they think that the rest of us care about their business. at least that was the case in my cube farm...

P H said...

i find that nobody complains if really boring looking people are being quiet. they only say something when they want to know what you have to say.

i'll have to admit, xtina, you have a myserious and thoughtful way about you that makes it all the more enticing to know what's on your mind.

missyandchrissy said...

oh, so does that mean my "boring look" isn't really working?

anyways, PH, you already know whats on my mind. at least today...

mr. met!

Chuckles said...

Mr. Met is a lucky guy, I guess.