Tuesday, August 28, 2007

bathroom talk.

when missy and i were going over our criteria for a new apt, one of my top priorities was the quality of the bathroom - more specifically, i preferred for the tub to have shower doors. why would i care? well, since the age of 10, with the exception of the college years (and i blocked those gross showers out of my memory, so they really don't count) and various stays at friend's places and hotels, i've always lived in a place with shower doors. and once you get used to shower doors - the plethora of light they allow in to the tub, the fact that they don't billow about and ensnare you in their plastic grip like curtains do - its hard to downgrade back to a curtain.

as we could barely find a apartment that had a bathroom that looked like it had been remodeled anytime in the past 50 years, "shower doors" was quickly crossed off my wish list. and although in the end we wound up in a brand spanking new place, the tub was still doorless and required a curtain.

i quickly saw the good in the situation as i spent an entire workday perusing for curtains - who knew there were so many fun ones out there?! - and when missy and i hung up our awesomely clever new one and it totally made the room, i couldn't help but think that i might actually be swayed out of the door camp.

but i haven't been.

although my adjustment to showering with a curtain is going pretty smoothly thus far, there's still one major, major bother - what i refer to as the "psycho factor". i never had to worry about someone sneaking into the bathroom and attacking me when i had clear doors to look out of. now, its all i can think about. i actually obsess over it the entire time i'm in the shower, tacking on a good minute or two to my bath time as i constantly need to peep my head around the curtain, to make sure the door is still closed and no intruder is lurking near the toilet with a machete.

i know this sounds nuts, but its not just me -- missy is having this issue as well. we discussed our dilemma the other day, and it seems like our next curtain might have to be a see-thru one.

-----------------

in further bathroom news, there has been a penny in one of our work toilets for the past two days. this doesn't necessarily bother me, as i kind of like the wishing well effect it lends to our otherwise disgusting women's bathroom, but my question is - why won't it flush down the toilet? is it a chemical thing? or did some creep glue it there?



8 comments:

Chuckles said...

That penny is a camera. I hope that I am wrong about that because that would be fucking gross.

I learned a new word on Monday night: shitsteam. You know what this is. When you have to brush your teeth after your father has abused that bathroom.

missyandchrissy said...

wow, like i'm not paranoid enough! i didn't even think about it being a camera...

soulspeak23 said...

Be glad of your penny and grateful that it's not a large homeless man.
Also, you should get one of those "see around the corner" mirrors and install it in your shower so that you can just stare up into that in order to ensure your safety while not sacrificing any of your hard shopped for style.

Tim said...

You should see what else you can put down there that won't flush away.

P H said...

i think i can solve this problem in a way that will benefit many: transparent curtain. heavy, plastic, see-through. shower with a little element of exhibitionism.

---

also, the toilet penny is hilarious to me somehow, because i think "penny" is a funny word/concept. the U.S. still makes coins that are the absolute minimum amount of worth, or maximum worthlessness.

Chuckles said...

Pennies are the epitome of Democracy. Alone they hold almost no value but together they can be worth quite a lot, especially when stuffed into the end of a tube sock and used to pummel idiots.

* The Genius is not advocating violence, only violent comedy. The Genius would never intentionally physically harm anyone.

missyandchrissy said...

ss23 - hah, i am grateful it isn't that large homeless man!

a surveillance mirror in the shower is an awesome idea! even moreso because i actually have a spare one that i used to keep up in my bedroom (what can i say, i like 'found objects')..

Tim - i would like to try such an experiment, but the fact that the penny's been there for 3 days leads me to believe the toilet is never cleaned, therefore i probably shouldn't be sticking my hands in it...

ph - a good idea, but there will be no exhibitionism via the clear shower curtain, now that i realized i can put my surveillance mirror to good use!

and chuckles, i never respected the penny more than i do right now. thank you.

Chuckles said...

Did you know that a Sapporo can holds a little over $11 in pennies? $11.07 to be exact.

I recently rolled up $11 in pennies, but I have yet to turn them into bills because I had that thought while I was rolling them. So now they sit on my shelf and remind me that I can do something, if I can get enough people to also care about that something.