Tuesday, October 10, 2006

are there any openings in the chelsea houses?

ever the good liberal, it has never been in my nature to deny or covet government housing. my route of late, however, has me seriously reconsidering my stance on economy/politics/good taste. i've even begun to wonder if i actually start paying taxes (and declaring my rent, or even letting the government know i do not in fact still live with my parents, or even on their island) if maybe the government will see what a poor bracket i'm in and offer me compensation in the form of low-income apartments in chelsea/food stamps/gold bricks. it's the least they could do considering they have pounced on the post-graduation opportunity to make me stand as a juror, calling me within only FOUR months of completing college/becoming eligible/losing any sort of fun or interesting aspects of my life.


but back to my un-pc point. every morning i wake up at 630, two hours before i need to be in my office. i leave at 730, walk one mile to the R or V train. Transfer to the E. Take the E across town to 23rd and 8th ave and walk FOUR avenues to the westside highway.

i do this for multiple reasons.

1. nyc transit decided that no one ever needed to venture further west than 8th ave thus making the E the most western subway.
2. the cross-town m23 adds an extra 30 minutes onto my commute whereas (power)walking gets me the 4 avenues in 10 minutes and a nice healthy glow.
3. working in fashion is cool.
4. working in fashion and not in the garment district but rather mixing with the chelsea art gallery scene is uber-cool. r.lauren, h.boss and prada have spoken.

so every morning when i wake myself up with my .8 mile walk i get seriously angered by the happy people frolicking in the park next to the chelsea houses on 26th between 9th and 10th. why are these people not getting ready for work? why am i spending my entire first two paychecks a month to live in an apt 1 hour by bus/train/foot from my office when the government is virtually throwing prime space at people? and my biggest question.. whyyyyyyyy do these buildings allow dogs?!

every morning as i groggily roll down 26th street i am woken up by my now routine game of skip around the dog poo. no exaggeration, it is allllllllll over the sidewalk. apparently not only do the chelsea houses condone dogs, they also do not feel the need to post sweet little 'curb your dog' signs because they figure it is common courtesy to do so. i however, beg to differ. someone OBVIOUSLY needs to notify everyone within the range of 26th-23rd between 9th and 12th avenue that dogs go in the street. or in grass. or you pick it up. but it most definitely does not get left in the middle of the walkway.

aside from this, how does government housing even ALLOW pets?
a. if you have a low income how can you afford upkeep on an animal?
b. shouldn't they be concerned about the upkeep of their buildings?

sissy and i live in a nice, quaint, 9-apartment building, yet we cannot even have a cat for fear of damaging the wood/walls/peter the landlords sanity.

what i've noticed to be even more apparent is that these are no compact to midsize dogs. these are full on suv-sized beasts. now explain to me exactly what square footage these people are packing to fit such a hound. i have come to the conclusion that the chelsea houses must have apartments of loft-sized proportions.

tres horrifying.

i am green from envy/stench of monstrous dog feces.


moral of the story: get lower paying job. gain ten minute walk to work, fabulously located spacious apt and frou-frou shiba inu named jacques.

No comments: