Wednesday, April 01, 2009

day 97.


those are not rags - just my favorite pajama pants. my ABSOLUTE most favorite pajama pants, staple of and reason for the pajama preservation society*, that today developed an even larger hole than what they previously had. we might have even ventured out of hole and into crater territory. either way, it's tragic. why on earth i had to stretch my leg out of the covers this morning in such a fashion that i completely ripped away the right thigh portion of my pants is beyond me. this is what i get for spontaneous exercising!


*i have been meaning to write about the Pajama Preservation Society for months - yes, seriously, months. from back when i used to write actual posts, and not crap out of my loveandcyanide-ly duties with my 'photojournalism' project. i even had the draft of it saved on my work email at my old job (a job so fascinating i instead thought about preserving my pajamas during it) and we all know how long it's been since then - now. i don't know what kept preventing me from doing it - i think i had decided that words couldn't do it justice. they still can't, especially not after the tragedy that befell one of the society members today, but i'll finally attempt it.

in any event. the PPS is a select community of nighttime clothes** that i've owned for over a decade (some might say gross, i say "worn in to the point that it's like sleeping in clouds. frosting. the bosom of an angel.") that one day i decided were so ridiculously comfortable and perfect that i wouldn't be able to go on if i couldn't sleep in them anymore, and therefore i had to preserve them. while i'm sure the proper method of preserving something involves stowing it away in a glass box or jar, my method involves making up a stupidly fun-to-say society name and wearing the items no more than twice a month, thereby experiencing less wear&tear and less trips to the washing machine. i hope someday i put as much caring and thought into my own health as i do the health of my pajamas.

**current PPS members:

  1. aforementioned (and pictured) maroon/purple/navy checkered pajama pants - american eagle men's pj pants circa 1998, size XL. goodness knows how big these things were when i actually first got them since they are humongous on me now (and, erm, i was a wee bit smaller when i was 18). but that's just one of the reasons why they are the most comfortable pants on earth to sleep in. they now possess a giant hole in the middle/bottom/along the right leg, something i was desperately trying to prevent from happening when i started the society. at this point i'm guessing my only options for keeping them in my life for another 10 years are: a. a major sewing session or b. never wearing them in public. on the plus side for b., i imagine i'll no longer have to listen to complaints from guys about my adoration for sleep pants that are 'unsexy'. unsexy indeed! these might now be the sexiest men's pajama pants in history.
  2. gray patterned pajama pants - nautica sleepwear XL men's pajama pants circa 1998 (i know - you sense a trend here. clearly i love wearing giant pants to bed, and my freshman year of college was filled with fortuitous shopping trips for them. yes, and yes.). more cottony and traditional "pajama" material than pair 1, and they make you feel like your bottom half is swathed in a giant jersey knit sheet. while in no danger of holes at the moment, the elastic on the too-big-to-begin-with pants is going, making these a poor choice of pants to run a race in. but other than that, they are perfect.
  3. blue Edwin Markham Intermediate School t-shirt - as though i haven't seemed dirty enough already with my decade-old, giant holey men's pants, the final member of the PPS is none other than my sixth grade gym shirt. faded blue, short-sleeved, emblazoned with a trojan head and the words I.S. 51 Spartans (sadly, this is practically the best of all my school mascots. i went from a spartan, to a seagull, to a ram. laugh it up.), circa 1992. before you run off in horror, just let me explain that in junior high my friends and i came up with the genius idea that we'd wear our required gym uniform (blue spartan shirt and sweatpants) OVER our clothes so we wouldn't have to bother changing. i vividly remember having the tshirt over a turtleneck and giant sweatpants over my jeans, basically waddling out of the locker room. for whatever reasons, the gym teachers allowed this stupid little trick for awhile, so technically i never really did the whole '"sweating" thing in the shirt. and it was impossible for me to sweat in gym anyways back then since we barely did any legitimate 'gym' things, given the fact that we were too preoccupied with a. watching the boys, b. hoping the boys would notice us lounging about the gym daintily not playing sports, and c. not ruining our bangs, which in the early 90's you know we spent HOURS on teasing every morning. so it wasn't a gross gym shirt to begin with, and now after 2,000,000,000 washings, all it can possibly (gloriously) smell of is Tide and comfort.


7 comments:

Tim said...

Holy (ha ha, see what I did there?) crap - you've got some old PJs!!

soulspeak23 said...

wow, i thought i was bad cause I still have my Tech gym shirt. And I also have a pair of 10 year old sleeping pants that my wife desperately wants to throw out. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen them in a bit. I'll have to go ask her about that...

missyandchrissy said...

tim - very punny!

ss23 - i hope you find those sleep pants! surprisingly i don't have any Tech shirts - just my old volleyball shirt, which isn't comfy to sleep in with that collar and all. why i keep it is beyond me!

soulspeak23 said...

i found the pants and I'm currently wearing them. Thank you for making me hunt for them! And I still have the stupid Volleyball shirt too, and I haven't a clue why I still have it.
Hell, I still had a backpack full of notes that we all passed around until about a year ago. Why?? No idea. lol

missyandchrissy said...

omg, a backpack full of notes?! that's awesome! i can only imagine how hilarious they must have been to read now that we're older.

soulspeak23 said...

it was hysterical. it was always all about what boys we liked and stuff, which is especially ironic for me, lol. there was like a 15 page one in there from you, still all folded silly how we used to do. I think we had a longest note competitions going or something. any recollection of this?

missyandchrissy said...

haha, i do recall a longest note competition, and i totally remember the crazy folding! i was so proud when i perfected the one that made the note look like an envelope with a little 'pull tab' in the front... and like what the hell did i even write 15 pages to you about, since we saw/spoke to each other everyday and had every class together!