Thursday, June 12, 2008

pigeons and sisters and bears, oh my.

tomorrow is a super-special friday the 13th over here at loveandcyanide - NO, jason voorhees is not coming to visit us!

it's missy's/Bear's birthday!

because i am the nicest* sister/caretaker in the entire universe, i'm spending my evening baking my little brains out, as missy requested some (wheat-free) goodies for her big day. the rest of the weekend will then entail lots of celebrating and eating aforementioned goodies, since i just learned i am not allowed to bring them to the establishment we're throwing her party at, meaning that i'm baking for about 50 and only the 3-5 people sleeping over our place afterwards will actually get any baked goods. fantastic.

--------

also on tap for the weekend is another big occasion - my 10 year high school "reunion". i say "reunion" as its being held in some dinky bar and i don't think there's going to be a huge showing (although our class was about 170 people, so i guess if 30 show up its still a decent percentage), so its not your typical fancy Reunion.

but considering our h.s. mascot was a freaking seagull, i never really expected very much from the school for my milestone alumni events.

i'm oddly looking forward to this little soiree, even though with the emergence of the social networking sites, all mystery as to what my ex-classmates look like/have been doing the past 10 years is pretty much gone, and i sort of feel like my reunion has been happening slowly over the past few years with every new friend request/subsequent message of pleasantries about what we've been up to. but its an open bar, so i imagine that after an hour i'll have completely forgotten that so-and-so is now married and that so-and-so's facebook status told me they just finished traveling the world, so i can act all surprised and interested anyways.

-------

finally, as though there can be anymore excitement packed into the next 48 hours, we also discovered that tomorrow is national pigeon day.

we kid you not. there's a site devoted to it. and an event. and a song!

so treat the little birds with respect tomorrow! i think i just figured out where all my excess baked goods can go...(if you read about a pigeon swarm in queens tomorrow, you'll know who's responsible).



*alright, in the interest of full disclosure, i'm just the most reciprocal. missy played chef on my birthday for a dinner party of 6. so the least i can do is turn out a batch of cupcakes.

4 comments:

soulspeak23 said...

unfortunately, I won't be attending the "reunion". I just couldn't make myself pay $42 for the crappy burrito bar and I furthermore couldn't stomach writing out such check to Karen Dale!
But have fun and let me know how it goes!
Hmm...now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I'll just crash the party and watch Karen pop a gasket!

Tim said...

Wahay! Please pass on my birthday greetings … and some of those cupcakes if there's any going free!

inthemiddle said...

oooh...a whoopie party! the party queen of queens is at it again!!

missyandchrissy said...

ss23 - ha! writing that check was difficult for me too...and i'm all for the crashing! i'll act surprised when you storm the burrito bar.

either way, i'll give you a report afterwards - albeit a short report, as i am certain you won't be missing very much!

tim - thank you for the bday greetings! we'll mail over the extra cupcakes. or even better, we'll send them via carrier pigeon!

itm - i feel compelled to live up to the high standards set for me by our work xmas party awards. if a piece of blue computer paper calls me a party queen, then dammit, i will be one!